Established in 2004, SKA Studio (Steven Kahle Architects, Inc) is dedicated to the pursuit of design excellence. We do not specialize in one project type. We approach each project as a unique opportunity to work closely with our clients to advance their mission, business, and facilities. At SKA Studio we provide design solutions to evolve workspaces, reimagine campuses, create innovative new facilities, and integrate leading-edge technologies. SKA Studio’s varied experience with a wide range of project types and scales, makes each of our projects stronger as we bring together best practices from each type.
- Commercial - Office, R&D, Labs, Parking Garages, Campuses, Cafeterias
- Residential - Single Family, Multi-Family
- Institutional - Academic, Government, Fire Stations, Environmental Centers
- Industrial - Assembly, Testing
- Health & Fitness - Healthcare, Wellness Centers, Fitness Centers, Spas
- Retail & Restaurants - Restaurants, Coffee Shops, Salons
- Interior Architecture & Design
- Sustainable Design
- Secure Facilities Design
- Research & Development Facilities Design
- Specialty Lab Design
- Simulation Environments
• Base building and Interior Architecture for office environments and campuses for high-tech organizations. Project experience ranging from small office build outs to 580,000 sf corporate headquarter buildings and master planning of corporate and institutional campuses.
• Design of facilities in support of cyber security research, development, training, simulation, and testing.
• Expertise in the design and integration of technical spaces including specialty research & simulation facilities, command centers, video production studios, telepresence facilities, computer labs, secure facilities and data centers.
• SCIF design experience covering a range of project types, complexities, security levels and sizes, new and renovated, ICD 705 standards as well as collateral secret spaces for secure video teleconferencing, labs, server rooms, project rooms and specialized spaces that utilize SIPRNet.
• Green building and sustainable design experience with USGBC LEED and Living Building Challenge projects including multiple environmental center projects.
• Project management experience with clients with multiple stakeholders, sponsors and customers that have unique requirements, missions, standards and co-location needs as well as government agencies and multi-discipline consultant teams.
• Development of workplace standards and green building initiatives; and network-based project management tools for maintaining facility standards, and project documents.
• Experience performing projects within or adjacent to occupied spaces.
• Expertise in fitness and wellness centers; restaurants and cafes; amenity spaces; conference facilities; education and training facilities.
• Experience with IDIQ & task based on-call term contracts.
2017 - NAIOP Interiors Retail Project, Northern VA Chapter Award of Excellence (The Percolator)
2017 - NAIOP Build-to-Suit Non-Institutional Facility, Northern VA Chapter Award of Merit (MITRE 4 Building)
2017 - Chesapeake Bay AIA, Honor Award for Non-Residential Architecture (MITRE 4 Building)
2016 - Branch Technology's Free-Form Design Challenge - Top 50 Finalist
2016 - Washington Building Congress Best Glass Wall Systems (MITRE 4 Building, McLean, VA)
2016 - Chesapeake Bay AIA, Merit Award for Non-Residential Architecture (3Bean)
2015 - Tilt-up Concrete Association Building of the Year Award (Curtiss Wright, Idaho Falls, ID)
2014 - Business Volunteer of the Year (Chesapeake Bay Environmental Center)
2013 - Idaho Business Review Building of the Year (Curtiss Wright, Idaho Falls, ID)
2011 - Chesapeake Bay AIA Architecture Merit Award (ADG Creative)
2009 - Salon Design of the Year - North American Hairstyling Awards
2008 - Chesapeake Bay AIA Architecture Merit Award (Varuna Salon Spa)